Invaluable Resources Available For The Best Ways To Study For Canadian Police Tests And Written Exams
So you’ve chosen the noble task of being an applicant for a Canadian police force. To pursue your great career choice you need the conviction, but more importantly preparation. The tests that will ensure your position as an officer of the law are more comprehensive than ever, therefore no matter how up to the task you are physically or mentally you still need to pass these tests to get your foot in the door. Here we will detail the best ways to study for Canadian police tests and written exams. Follow our suggestions so you can follow your dream.
Meet the essential requirements
You must be at least 18 years old in most parts of the nation (some regions require you to be 19 years of age). You should have at least a high school diploma, although a college degree in criminal law could set you apart from the vast field of candidates, and be helpful in your test knowledge. Also, Canadian status as a citizen or permanent resident is required. There’s other requirements, such as having a valid driver’s license, but you’ll know about those by the time you are ready for the written exams.
Identify the tests that apply to your career path
There are several tests that will be very relevant to all applicants seeking a position as a police officer throughout the nation. Consider the P.A.T.I. (Police Analytical Thinking Inventory), the B-PAD (Behavioral Personnel Assessment Device), the RAPT (Royal Canadian Mounted Police Aptitude Test), the WCT (Written Communications Test) and the SIGMA exam, a survey for Police Officers, to name a few. Identify the tests that will work for you in your providence towards your ultimate goal. We must stress that the best results will come to those candidate who focus on accomplishing one exam at a time.
Also, note that all applicants will face a Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation (in some regions it’s know as P.R.E.P., Physical Readiness Evaluation for Police). This is an occupational test that will assess physical capabilities needed to meet the demanding fitness requirements of the job. We encourage everyone to be very active a month prior to taking the test, preferably adhering to a regime of at least 3 to 5 cardiovascular weekly workouts as well as 2 to 3 weekly resistance training sessions. At Police Test Prep we recommend tried and true programs that will show results and get you on a fitness track that with dedication you can maintain throughout your career. Check out these programs for a disciplined approach:
- Crossfit for Police Officers. Be prepared for an intense program that will challenge your strength, endurance, and agility.
- Standard Workout Plans. A fitness template that is easy to follow and informs and helps your progress along the way.
Prep for your written exams
Each exam is different. Some are electronic, like the e-RAPT, which will require multi-choice and compositions sections. The PATI studies your Deductive and Inductive reasoning through the completion of tasks. Quantitative reasoning will test your basic arithmetic operations, but also your veracity and cumulative accuracy. The B-PAD will test your responses through a series of video simulations in which the respondent’s communication skills, problem solving techniques and interpersonal skills will be evaluated for behavioral and proficiency standards.
This range of skill sets can be improved upon with practice tests and modules. It is very important to reach out for help. Use the internet to inform yourself of test samples in each skill category. By registering at Police Test Prep, you will have the valuable resource of tutors that are available to answer any and all questions that you may have. Here is what else Police Test Prep can offer.
- A series of detailed test modules, made up of written and video resources for each exam on your plate known as Test prep packages, allow you to practice every question and to solidify the correctness and understanding of each and every answer.
- User friendly test prep packages can be accessed on any mobile device so you can learn at your own pace, and in any location.
- The 97.2% 1st attempt pass rate for Police Test Prep’s packages is impressive and is achieved thanks to the thorough program that will align you for success. Most importantly, the information and good practices you learn are an invaluable foundation for the important work that is ahead of you.